9.27.2007

Six Things About Me: #5

Almost done! Here's #5: I've only recently been doing this crafty/jewelry thing.

It's true...I never really had the time until about two years ago, when I decided to MAKE time for myself to do the things I love. Don't get me wrong...I did things outside of work and beyond the standard "life responsibilities" (I always made sure I had time for the band, spending time with my husband and my friends, etc.), Ocean Storm Necklacebut I was looking for something tangible where I could "get my hands dirty." One day, I was talking to my soon-to-be-sister-in-law about making stuff (as mentioned in item #4, she's soooooo talented), and she was showing me some bead work. I didn't want to do the exact same thing, so I started looking through some books, and wire and metal is what really drew me in. I think it's the mixture of the metal with gemstones and glass that really attracts me. Plus, there are so many techniques to learn, I figured I could get into something that would offer many, many opportunities to keep learning and growing. So, that's where I am today. I'm ready to take the next step to PMC and metalsmithing in general. I have a large, mostly cement basement that's divided into little rooms; one of them is just dying to become my workshop. After that, I'll be working on starting my glass studio. That's the one I'm really excited about, but it seems that there's much more equipment that I need to buy, so I'll be taking it one step at a time. I figure this will keep me occupied for quite a while.

Egyptian Goddess NecklaceI must warn you that I'll probably have to skip a day tomorrow, as I may not be around in the evening. If not, I'll try to get on early Saturday to give you the 6th and final "interesting" (or maybe not) item. By then, I hope to have some more photos of some works in progress, too. My pieces are very labor intensive, so it takes a while, folks. Please bear with me! Until then, I included some photos that I put on Flickr not long ago, they'll be on Etsy, too (and most likely rephotographed, as they're a little gray).

Tomorrow is Friday,
Chelsea

2 comments:

Cora said...

I absolutely love the deep colours in your blue "ocean storm" necklace. It is very eyecatching!

Love & Squalor Designs said...

Hard to believe you haven't been doing this for a long long time. Your products are beautiful!