1.20.2008

...And Metalsmithing Begins

Well, sorta.

All equipment is here, for the most part. All tools are here, for the most part. All materials are here. For real. I'm missing a few key items, one of which is on backorder, so until it gets here I may be a little bit delayed. But, I can't wait!

I'm most excited about creating fused chain links and being able to make rings. I'm not really a fan of wire rings, that's why you don't see them in my shop very often, so hopefully you'll be able to see the real deal very soon! Lately I've been a fan of the tension-set type...I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up the technique sooner than later.

My husband is in the process of carving me out a little work area in our basement; I'm not real sure yet that he wants to share his sacred space, but I remind him that this hobby of mine could possibly make us rich one day (hahahahaha LOL) and he then becomes somewhat more accommodating.

I also worked on some pendants this weekend, including a standalone pendant similar to that found in my Back to Earth necklace, only it incorporates red coral and sterling silver beads into the design. In addition, I made some copper and agate pendants based on the Back to Earth pendant, which will be attached to leather cord. Finally, I worked on a herringbone weave focal pendant, which will be hung from a handcrafted chain made from easy links. Yeehaw. New earrings are also on the way; I had some beads available that easily turned into simple, dangly designs.

I'll post progress of my new metalsmithing endeavor as I creep along; watch out for new items in my Etsy shop all this week.

1 comment:

idyll hands said...

That Back to Earth necklace is stunning! I can't wait to see what you begin to unveil with your new tools.