5.05.2008

My Favorite Springtime Visitor

They're here! They're here! Our yearly visitors--the ruby-throated hummingbird. Forgive the not-so-great photos, as I didn't have my tripod out when they were visiting!




This morning as I was doing some work in my living room, I looked out our large glass window and I had one of them hovering outside, saying, "WHERE is our FOOD?" I hadn't put our feeders out yet; this coming weekend was going to be our planting/outdoor cleanup weekend. However, I didn't mind dropping what I was doing to accommodate these wonderful little visitors. I have about five different feeders, but I only put two out today. Luckily I had some nectar mix.

Are your hummingbirds flying about? If you haven't seen them, I bet they're close by. To bring them in, get your feeders out...red or red-orange colors attract them the most. Even if you don't have the red nectar that comes pre-mixed, you can make your own nectar using this recipe (note that it doesn't have to be red...just the feeder or part of the feeder that is red or red-orange will attract your hummingbirds!):

  1. Combine four parts water to one part table sugar in a pan
  2. Boil the sugar water mixture (do not leave it boil too long, or the water will evaporate)
  3. Cool in the refrigerator
  4. Fill your feeders; change the nectar as necessary to prevent bacteria buildup (clean your feeders, too!
  5. Store the remaining nectar in the refrigerator
Well, I'm off to enjoy more views from my window as I work. Cheers!

5 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

This reminds me to look for our hummingbird feeder. I haven't see it since we moved...I'm sure I didn't get rid of it though! It's blown glass and I really like it...must find it...

PA Paula said...

Wow, what great news!... we haven't seen any around here yet but i have a new big gazing globe that is red and that should draw them in. Now i need to put out the feeder! Thanks for the heads-up.

enso said...

that is so cool - what great photos. It's stil way to cold here for those little guys.

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have such beautiful birds around! I'm living a little close to the city now for the 'pretty' birds...

Bonghi Nautra said...

Great pictures, these remind me of being at my grandparents when i was little. I love hummingbirds!